Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year



December 2012
Dear Wyoba Friends & Family,

It is hard to believe that another Christmas and New Year are encroaching upon us. It is a time to reflect on the birth of our mighty, gracious Savior and to ponder and pray about new beginnings and change. I hope that this letter finds you and your family filled with joy, excitement, and peace as we enter in a season of celebration.
“For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given” (Isaiah 9:6). As I reflect on Jesus’ birth I am filled with humility and awe that the Son of God came to earth to step in my shoes, our shoes. He came to experience human life, the good, bad, and the ugly and He ministered to many, many people during his time on earth. He loved the world so much He offered Himself as a perfect sacrifice to cover our sins and give us the gift of eternal life. Christ’s birth led to the ultimate gift of salvation and that concept makes my heart rejoice because of the hope we have. “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior” (Luke 1:46b-47).
I cannot help but think that if Christ did not come to give us the gift of salvation we would be lost and without hope. As the Camp Administrator of Wyoba, I cannot help but think of all the campers that would not have been able to receive a Savior and build a relationship with Him if He did not come. Wyoba would very likely not exist without Christ coming as a humble baby and grow to save the world. I could not imagine my life without Jesus and the Holy Spirit guiding my life. I could not imagine having any other career than serving the Lord and being in this season in life working to make Wyoba a place where individuals can come experience God on Casper Mountain.
As the New Year also approaches, we (the Wyoba Board, ABCRM, and I) have already begun to plan and make changes for this summer’s camping season. The first change I want to share is the new Wyoba mission statement. “Based on our relationship with Christ, Wyoba Christian Camp is a safe community for growth, encouragement, and building authentic relationships.” Second, we are changing the length of the camp week.  Each camp will begin Sunday at 3pm and end Friday at 10am. Primary Camp will have the same length, Sunday at 3pm to Wednesday at 10am. This is to give staff and counselors an extra day to turn over camp, prepare for the next week, and give everyone a chance to worship and rest.
I will be sending out save-the-dates by mid February as well as camp applications and brochures. This will allow everyone to plan months in advance. I am extremely excited for the 2013 camp season and I believe that God has great plans in store. If the Lord lays it on your heart to donate money for the upcoming camp projects (new water system, electric in the pole barn installed, painting floors in the bathhouses, etc.) you can mail a check to the address below. Also, I would encourage you to pray about getting involved at Wyoba if you are not already. Please continue to keep the camp in your prayers as we continue to plan the programming and prepare for the projects and implementing change in the spring.
I hope that you will take some time to reflect on the miracle of Jesus’ birth and be in prayer about what God has in store for you this New Year. We are so honored and privileged to have a Savior and Friend who understands and meets us where we are. May you rejoice in and mediate on the miracle birth of Jesus and find comfort in having Him walk into the New Year hand-in-hand with you.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
~Amber J. Shearer
Camp Wyoba Administrator

Camp Wyoba P.O. Box 442 Casper, WY 82602
307-234-6240
wyoba@abcrm.org


No comments: